Philadelphia Chapter Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation

Home Page Chapter News Chapter Membership Philadelphia Connection Especially for Educators More about Lewis and Clark The Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation 2003 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia
Information about upcoming meetings and activities, highlights of previous events, minutes of past meetings, and news of interest for Chapter members
 

Dedication of the Caspar Wistar Historical Marker
December 10, 2000

It's here!

The sign was finally installed by the city of Philadelphia in February, 2001.

At 3:00 on December 10, members gathered for the dedication of the new historical marker for the Caspar Wistar house at 4th and Locust. Tom Davis was the dedication coordinator, and although the city had not yet installed the sign, the celebration went right ahead.
Chapter members, diocesan staff, and interested observers gathered outside the house.
Frank Muhly, Chapter vice-president, and Tom Davis, dedication coordinator
The house now contains the offices of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania. The Rt. Rev'd Charles E. Bennison, Jr., Bishop of the Diocese, graciously provided champagne and cookies, and members of his staff led tours of the house.

Bill Powell, Diocesan Stewardship Manager, knows the history of the house well. This fireplace is original.

 

Rose Muhly, Chapter president, with Frank Muhly
The courtyard with its garden
Pat Roussel and Paul Shaver, Chapter members
The plaque shown here is part of an exterior wall.

The new marker reads:

CASPAR WISTAR (1761- 1818)

Noted physician, lived here. Professor of anatomy at the University of Pennsylvania. President of the American Philosophical Society & Pa. Abolition Society. In 1803, tutored Meriwether Lewis in medicine and paleontology, in preparation for the expedition west.

PENNSYLVANIA HISTORICAL AND MUSEUM COMMISSION 2000

Updated August 13, 2001
webmaster@lewisandclarkphila.org